In the first part of this article, we have already seen the top 3 common mistakes that prevent Vietnamese learners from speaking correct English. However, there are still a few more mistakes that will prevent you from speaking fluent English. What are they? Let’s take a look.
4. Localization of the English pronunciation
- Why: There are similar letters and letter combinations in Vietnamese and English, so we apply our Vietnamese pronunciation when we speak English!
- Example: /ei/ sound being pronounced as “ê” and “ây” in Vietnamese (Okay /əʊ ‘kei/ as “Ô-kê”)
Continue reading 7 common English pronunciation mistakes of Vietnamese speakers (Part 2)
Ever wonder why when Vietnamese people speak to you in English, sometimes you can’t figure out what they say? Well, it turns out that there are 7 critical mistakes that make the speakers belong to the Vietnamese-speaking-English tribe.
Let’s see what are those mistakes and how we can deal with them, shall we?
1. Missing the Ending sounds
- Why: We don’t have those sounds in Vietnamese.
- Examples: “s” in is, “t” in heat, “ed” in missed or “st” in fast.
- How to correct: Listen and learn the rule: when to pronounce “s” as “s” or “z”, when to pronounce as “t” or as “id”. Imitate native speakers long enough and you’ll have the full confidence to say it out loud.
Continue reading 7 common English pronunciation mistakes of Vietnamese speakers (Part 1)
Check to see if you really know how to say these food names accurately. Next time, ELSA could also go to a restaurant with you to order pasta and espresso!
Thank you so much for visiting and signing up at my home. More than 1,500 users have signed up to help test and use my pre-release version. I am touched!
In the upcoming weeks, I will be tested by close friends. What a stressful time! That way, I could come to you sooner this summer.
And yet, I’m encouraged that my efforts will be rewarded by the dream that one day, whenever you speak English, all your voices, regardless of your nationalities and abilities, will be heard and cherished by friends all over the world. And one day, you, with your own voices, will reach the best careers and life opportunities.